How do we ensure lifesaving vaccines are available in remote, off-the-grid clinics? One answer: Go solar.
Solar-powered refrigeration equipment runs on electricity provided by solar energy. They are able to keepvaccines at their appropriate temperature, without the need for electricity from a national grid.
Solar Direct Drive refrigeration systems are the new generation of solar powered refrigeration systems. By passing the use of a battery and charge controller, Dulas solar fridges use different non-battery based technologies. There are currently four technologies existing: PCM (phase change material), Ice-lined (ILR), water- lined, and ice bank.
Advantages of Solar Direct Drive refrigeration systems
▪ Do not require a battery to store energy
▪ Do not require electricity and can be used in rural areas where sunshine is abundant
▪ Do not require solar charge regulators
▪ Easy installation
▪ Easy maintenance
▪ Cheaper in comparison to the battery powered systems
Surveys conducted on Battery Powered Systems have found that a large proportion of equipment failures are related to the batteries. It is not a question of if a battery will fail, but rather when it will fail. Batteries can fail due to improper design, misuse, poor installation, over use of the refrigerator, overload of the refrigerator resulting in prolonged running cycles and lack of maintenance and delayed repairs. As a result of the lessons learned with battery-based systems, Solar Direct Drive Systems are the best options and recommended by WHO-PQS.
Solar powered vaccine refrigeration systems are now widely used. They are sometimes the only available solution in areas where no reliable conventional energy supply is available. WHO, PATH and others have conducted several in depth reviews of solar vaccine refrigeration programs launched in Africa, the Americas and in South-East Asia.
Aptech Africa brings you VC60SDD a Solar Direct Drive combined vaccine refrigerator and water pack freezer. With a vaccine storage capacity of 57 litres and a freezer capable of storing 23 x 0.6 litre fully frozen water packs, it is the perfect solution for small and mid-sized health facilities conducting outreach programs. The VC60SDD has been independently verified to deliver 4 x 0.6L fully frozen water packs each day (2.4kg of ice), even at +43C ambient, making it easier to plan outreach activities.
Like all our solar direct drive refrigerators, the VC60SDD utilizes our optimized solar technology to offer the perfect balance of array size and autonomy, delivering exceptional reliability whatever the weather. Fully GAVI CCEOP compliant with the highest level of Grade A Freeze Protection and a +5C to +43C extended temperature operating range.
- 57 litre vaccine storage capacity
- Water pack freezing capacity: 2.4 kg per 24 hrs
- Water pack storage capacity: 23 x 0.6 litres
- +5°C to +43°C extended operating temperature range
- Works at WHO solar reference period 3.5kWh/m2/24h
- 94h 11 min holdover
- 82h 48min autonomy
- Corrosion tested to DIN 8985
- In-built handle with lock
- In-built solar-powered temperature display
- All-metal, high strength hinges
- Heavy-duty castors to make handling easier
- User-independent Grade A freeze protection
- Completely battery free, with plug-and-play connectors for easy installation
- Environmentally friendly: R600a refrigerant with low global-warming potential and innovative insulation technology giving exceptional energy efficiency
- Packaging tested to industry standards
- Tested to survive ambient storage temperatures up to +70°C
- Stacking baskets for easy-access stock management
- British made
- CFC free